Claytor Lake

Claytor Lake State Park is a 472-acre (191 ha) state park in Pulaski County, Virginia. The park is located on Claytor Lake, a 4,500-acre (18 km2), 21-mile-long (34 km) reservoir on the New River formed by Claytor Dam, which is used to generate hydroelectric power by the Appalachian Power Company. The reservoir is named for W. Graham Claytor (1886–1971) of nearby Roanoke, a former vice president of Appalachian Power who supervised construction of the dam and creation of the lake.

Three miles of Claytor Lake's shoreline is bordered by Virginia's Claytor Lake State Park. Claytor Lake State Park has hiking trails, a freshwater swimming beach, boating and fishing opportunities, a full-service marina, visitor center, concession, lakeside cabins, camping with full hookups, interpretive programs and six rental shelters accommodating large groups.

The Haven B. Howe House is used as a Nature Exhibit Center that focuses on the lake’s wildlife habitat.[1] It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2008.

Claytor Lake Available Residential Listings


Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.

Claytor Lake Available Lots & Lands


Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.